Magazines stimulate Body Consciousness? – No, it’s all girl on girl.



The last thing I want to sound like is an advice columnist telling girls that they should love their bodies, because we all know that – and who loves every part of themselves! There is always something that a woman wants to change about her self, straight hair, curly hair, pale skin, and the list goes on.

But when girls blame fashion magazines for their body consciousness, they could not be more wrong.

Yes, fashion magazines are a contributor because they present super skinny women rather than show the average sized woman of today. But from interviewing a couple of models, including Rebecca Chandler and Greta Bellamacina, I have realized that they both disliked modelling because they could not develop womanly curves. I emphasize womanly because we are naturally supposed to have curves, like the three beautiful women below!

The pressure for women to look a particular way doesn’t rest on the magazines, or even men, but other women, and especially, your friends. Why? Because women are constantly comparing themselves to other women; if your flatmates, for example, eat less than you or are constantly dieting, your immediate reaction is “maybe I should start eating less? Or go on a diet?” And I have felt this way many a time, but every one has a different life style, and metabolism and you must do what suits you.

Now I’m not saying put on 20lbs for the hell of it in a YOLO way, but don’t restrict yourself to lettuce leaves. ‘Everything in moderation’ – as your mother would say. There are times when your gay friend that always says: “ugh your not going to the gym are you? Have a doughnut and a cigarette, that’ll make you feel better!” – is absolutely right.


Yes, there are moments also when I hate my ‘thunder thighs’ as my grandparent’s ‘considerately’ call them, but hey, I’d rather have a body like Beyonce than spend my entire youth crash dieting or in the gym.

Get off it girls, as long as you feel happy and healthy, there is no reason to feel body conscious. And if you’ve got great curves, remember there are HUNDREDS of women that would kill to have your body. 



Comments

Popular Posts