VOGUE Fashion Night Out



It has been a while since I have written – mainly because we are without internet in my new flat! - and in the meantime, sooo much has happened.

I have now officially been to London Fashion Week. No, I was not quite FROW-ing with Poppy Delevigne and Laura Whitmore, but I was sat opposite them on the second row at Zoe Jordan’s show, and I did get to see Kristof Strozyna unveil his new collection – with goodie bags included at both events. Don’t you just love the perks of fashion!

The Scandinavian and urban influences seen in both of those shows were prevalent in the street style on show at Vogue’s Fashion Night Out – the ultimate magazine party, that this year was moved up North, to Manchester.

VOGUE FASHION NIGHT OUT

 The night didn’t quite get off to a great start. There I was on the bus on Regent Street, dashing to return some shoes to Zara before getting the 13:00 train from London Euston to Manchester, feeling the time tick tock in my brain as the bus jolted back and forth through the roadwork’s.

12:15. Crap. I jump off the bus, power walk to Zara to find no queue, a staff member that was just about to go on lunch - so processes my return super quickly – and make it to Euston with twenty minutes to spare. ‘Someone must be on my side today’ I thought.

Half an hour later …a big resounding NUH UH HUNNY is replied to that previous positive thought. Some poor guy has committed suicide in Harrow, so all services have been suspended for a number of hours. I rush to Kings Cross, manage to jump another train, but end up spending a period of four hours on three different trains. Fashion, what I do for you!

But once in central Manchester, with champagne in one hand, and cupcakes / macaroons in the other, everyone was out in their favourite clothes taking advantage of store discounts, prize sign-ups, goodie bags. From free chocolate, to hot dogs, t shirts and cocktails, one could get used to stores being like this on a daily basis.

Outside Selfridges there was a runway tent with a constant catwalk, and advice being given on how to innovate your outfits so that you could wear a jacket, for example, constantly.


Metallic's and the 'bowl-bob' style, worn by all models at Kristof Strozyna's catwalk show.
The Furry textured jumper is all over stores this season. Add an MK watch and a hat for a classic style touch.



At 21:00 Alexandra Shulman, the editor of Vogue, and basically the Don of the magazine industry, gave a Q&A session in Harvey Nichols. It was incredibly inspiring. Not only did this woman never plan to go into fashion, but she was fired from four of her jobs previous to working at Vogue, and was originally taken on as an assistant for the magazine!

When questioned about what advice she would give to prospective magazine writers, she said to my surprise, that really there is no advice that she has to offer. And really, from her talk, and from speaking to those at Harrods Magazine whilst I interned there in September, I have come to realise that there is no set route into the fashion industry. Or any media industry. 

Interviews with Greta Bellamacina, models and editors have all told me that if you have the eye for fashion, are persistent, and are not afraid to just put yourself out there, you’ll be absolutely fine making it in the fashion industry. 

It was quite the work night out as we came out of Harvey Nichols to crowds dancing in the street to the likes of Kanye West and Montell Jordan, with dance circles ever-growing and people ‘throwing some shapes’. 








Comments

Popular Posts